Pulled the Trigger on the iPad 3G – WOOHOO!
OK…so I got the nod from the CFO, yes…my CFO is the wife and she gave the nod that it is cool to drop the dough on a glorified gadget that can be justified as a business expense! After a month of deliberating, hemming and hawing about the idea of purchasing it…I pushed the “Pre-Order” button on the Apple website.
I did spend sometime thinking, researching, and wondering if this was a good decision. Here were some of my initial thoughts:
- If I was going to purchase the iPad, it had to be the 3G version. Simply because there are so many times I am in a non-wifi zone and will need to send emails, download something, or just be online. I have contemplated getting a AT&T card for my MacBook Pro, but this makes sense. I know I have my iPhone, but need something a little more to finger scale.
- Tired of carrying around my 17″ MacBook Pro to meetings in a big ole bag. I have a “Producer” bag that I can throw the strap around my shoulder yet I spend so much time avoiding knocking something over with the bag and the contents.
- Want something small and mobile that is not another laptop.
- Price compared the iPad to purchasing a MacBook and the pricing was similar. But then I thought, why do I want another laptop for just searching the web, answering email, and other related web related items.
- Liked the idea of a “bigger” iPhone concept…seriously! So many times I have my iPhone as I lay in beg catching up on email or searching the web for stuff…and would like something bigger yet not the size of a laptop. Opening a laptop is a process.
- Excited about the opportunity to download books via the iPad…this will be new and cool experience!
So after weighing these thoughts…I pulled the trigger. So this is what I purchased:
- iPad with 64GB of memory with Wifi & 3G Capabilities
- iPad Keyboard Dock (so I can type on a real keyboard, if I so choose)
- iPad Case (I am clumsy so figured I needed to protect my investment)
- iPad Camera Kit (so I can upload pictures straight from a SD card)
- iPad VGA Adapter (so I can connect to a screen or projector to show presentations, pictures, and videos)
- Apple Care for iPad (once again, I am clumsy and this protects me from me)
All in all…I am pumped, the only thing now is that I have to sit back and wait. The expected shipping date for my iPad 3G/Wifi is late April! I am hoping it gets here before my vacation trip where Wifi is non-existent.
Now, once again my gadget life is complete with one more gizmo. Yes…now I can go over to my grandfathers house and wow him with a cool new gadget!